Austria, a landlocked country in Central Europe, boasts a rich cultural heritage, stunning landscapes, and vibrant cities. From the historical palaces of Vienna and the birthplace of Mozart in Salzburg to the breathtaking Alpine vistas and charming villages, Austria offers something for everyone. Whether you’re an avid history buff, a nature enthusiast, or an art lover, Austria will captivate you with its diverse attractions. In this comprehensive guide, we present 20 must-see places in Austria that showcase the country’s most visited and cherished destinations. Discover the beauty of Austria and make your journey unforgettable by exploring these remarkable sites.
- Schönbrunn Palace Home Page: https://www.schoenbrunn.at/en/
Details: Located in Vienna, Schönbrunn Palace is a former imperial summer residence with baroque architecture. It features 1,441 rooms, vast gardens, the Gloriette, a zoo, and a maze.
- Hofburg Palace Home Page: https://www.hofburg-wien.at/en/
Details: This former imperial palace in Vienna now serves as the official residence and workplace of the President of Austria. It houses several museums, the Austrian National Library, and the Spanish Riding School.
- St. Stephen’s Cathedral Home Page: https://www.stephansdom.at/
Details: Located in Vienna, St. Stephen’s Cathedral is a Roman Catholic church featuring Gothic and Romanesque architecture, a stunning tiled roof, and catacombs.
- Belvedere Palace Home Page: https://www.belvedere.at/en
Details: This historic building complex in Vienna consists of two Baroque palaces, the Orangery, and the Palace Stables. It is home to the Belvedere Museum, which houses Austrian art, including works by Gustav Klimt.
- Salzburg’s Old Town Home Page: https://www.salzburg.info/en
Details: The historic center of Salzburg, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, features Baroque architecture, picturesque squares, and the birthplace of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- Hallstatt Home Page: https://www.hallstatt.net/en/
Details: A picturesque village in the Salzkammergut region, Hallstatt is known for its pastel-colored houses, beautiful lake, and salt mines dating back to prehistoric times.
- Mirabell Palace and Gardens Home Page: https://www.salzburg.info/en/sights/top-10/mirabell-palace-gardens
Details: Located in Salzburg, Mirabell Palace is a historic building with beautiful baroque gardens, a marble hall, and stunning views of Hohensalzburg Fortress.
- Hohensalzburg Fortress Home Page: https://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/hohensalzburg-castle/
Details: This 11th-century fortress in Salzburg is one of the largest medieval castles in Europe, offering panoramic views of the city and housing several museums.
- Innsbruck’s Golden Roof Home Page: https://www.innsbruck.info/en/
Details: Innsbruck’s Golden Roof is a landmark in the city’s Old Town, featuring 2,657 fire-gilded copper tiles that create a dazzling golden appearance.
- Prater Amusement Park Home Page: https://www.praterwien.com/en/
Details: Located in Vienna, the Prater is a large public park that features the iconic Wiener Riesenrad Ferris wheel and numerous amusement park rides, cafes, and restaurants.
- Hundertwasserhaus Home Page: https://www.hundertwasser-haus.info/en/
Details: Designed by artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser, this colorful and unconventional apartment building in Vienna is an architectural landmark and popular tourist attraction.
- Eisriesenwelt Home Page: https://www.eisriesenwelt.at/en/
Details: The Eisriesenwelt is the world’s largest ice cave system, located near Werfen.Visitors can explore its stunning ice formations on guided tours from May to October. The tour includes a cable car ride and a walk through the cave, showcasing impressive ice sculptures and unique geological features.
- Grossglockner High Alpine Road Home Page: https://www.grossglockner.at/gg/en/index
Details: This panoramic mountain road traverses the Hohe Tauern National Park, offering breathtaking views of the Austrian Alps and access to the Pasterze Glacier, Austria’s largest glacier.
- Zell am See Home Page: https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en
Details: A popular tourist destination in Salzburg, Zell am See offers a picturesque lake, charming town center, and access to numerous outdoor activities such as skiing, hiking, and mountain biking.
- Krimml Waterfalls Home Page: https://www.wasserfaelle-krimml.at/en/
Details: Located in the Hohe Tauern National Park, the Krimml Waterfalls are the highest waterfalls in Austria, offering stunning views and hiking trails.
- Seefeld in Tirol Home Page: https://www.seefeld.com/en
Details: A popular holiday destination in the Austrian Alps, Seefeld offers a charming pedestrian zone, world-class skiing, and scenic hiking trails.
- Melk Abbey Home Page: https://www.stiftmelk.at/en/
Details: Situated on a rocky outcrop above the Danube River, Melk Abbey is a Benedictine monastery featuring stunning baroque architecture and a comprehensive museum.
- Graz Home Page: https://www.graztourismus.at/en/
Details: The capital of Styria, Graz features a well-preserved historic center, the striking Schlossberg Hill with the iconic Clock Tower, and a vibrant cultural scene.
- Wachau Valley Home Page: https://www.donau.com/en/wachau-nibelungengau-kremsvalley/
Details: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Wachau Valley stretches along the Danube River and is famous for its vineyards, apricot orchards, and picturesque villages, such as Dürnstein and Krems.
- Vienna State Opera Home Page: https://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/en/
Details: One of the most prestigious opera houses in the world, the Vienna State Opera offers a rich program of opera, ballet, and classical concerts in a magnificent historic building.