Taste the Authenticity of Iran with this Mouthwatering Zereshk Polo Morgh Recipe
Zereshk polo is a popular Iranian dish that is made with saffron-flavored basmati rice and served with tender, juicy chicken. The dish is typically garnished with sweet and tangy barberries, which are small, tart berries that are indigenous to Iran.
The barberries are usually simmered in sugar and water to make a syrup, which is then used to flavor the rice. The barberries are often added to the rice just before serving, providing a contrasting texture and bright pop of flavor to the dish.
Zereshk polo is often considered to be a comfort food in Iran, and is typically served as a main course for lunch or dinner. It is a staple of Iranian cuisine and is enjoyed by people of all ages.
To make the dish, the rice is typically cooked in a mixture of chicken broth, saffron, and butter. The chicken is then cooked separately, either by boiling or roasting, until it is tender and juicy. The chicken is then arranged on top of the rice, and the barberry syrup is
Bring the Flavors of Iran to Your Kitchen with this Delicious Zereshk Polo Morgh:
For the Rice:
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt, to taste
For the Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
For the Barberries:
- 1 cup dried barberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Rinse the rice thoroughly and set it aside to drain.
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Stir in the saffron threads and allow the broth to simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the drained rice to the saucepan and stir to coat the rice with the butter.
- Pour the saffron-infused chicken broth over the rice and add salt to taste. Stir the rice to combine, then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan, and let the rice cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- While the rice is cooking, season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- In a small saucepan, combine the barberries, sugar, and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has thickened into a syrup.
- To serve, spoon the cooked rice onto a large serving platter. Arrange the cooked chicken on top of the rice. Spoon the barberry syrup over the chicken and rice. Serve immediately.
Enjoy your delicious and traditional Iranian dish, Zereshk Polo Morgh!