How long does the process of digestion last? Do you find yourself still hungry no matter how much you eat? If so, you might be eating foods that are too high on the glycemic index. It’s definitely something worth knowing if you’re struggling with excess weight.
The glycemic index is a system of values given to foods according to how quickly they cause an increase in blood glucose levels. To put that in layman’s terms, it basically measures how fast different foods are digested by the body. Glucose is a simple sugar that gives your body energy, and you get it from the foods you eat.
Your blood is what carries this sugar throughout your body to all your hungry cells and tissues. That’s why it’s called blood glucose. If you eat something that’s high on the index, your blood glucose will spike, giving you a fast boost of energy.
What glycemic index is 0:58
Foods that digest slowly 3:30
Foods that digest moderately 4:08
Foods that digest quickly 4:34
Foods that don’t have a glycemic index value 5:27
What about pizza? 6:09
Are all low-glycemic foods healthy? 6:43
Music by Epidemic Sound https://www.epidemicsound.com/
– The glycemic index is a system of values given to foods according to how quickly they cause an increase in blood glucose levels. To put that in layman’s terms, it basically measures how fast different foods are digested by the body.
– If you eat something that’s high on the index, your blood glucose will spike, giving you a fast boost of energy.
– Foods and drinks are actually split into three groups: low, medium, and high. Low items rate from 1 to 55, medium is from 56 to 69, and high items are from 70 and above.
– According to the experts at Bodytomy, some low-glycemic foods, like cooked vegetables or a salad, can remain in your stomach anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.
– There are also foods that really don’t really have a glycemic index value since they don’t contain any carbs. But they can still take a while to be digested by your stomach. It can take you anywhere from 2 to 5 hours for your stomach to digest meats, like chicken, lamb, and pork.
– If you’re having pizza that’s just dough, cheese, and sauce, that might rate high on the glycemic index, mostly because of that dough. But believe it or not, adding toppings actually makes your slice healthier!
– You might encounter foods that will be low on the index, but if they’re processed, they most likely still contain tons of saturated fats, sugar, and empty calories.