Wiener Schnitzel Recipe, how to make Schnitzel Viennese Style
Makes 4 servings
4 veal cutlets, about 5oz (150g) each
White pepper, grounded
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup (125g) flour
1 cup (120g) breadcrumbs
Oil for frying, about 1 cup, 220g (in batches)
Butter, about 4 tbsp, 56g in batches
Lemon, for garnish
Potato Salad (serves 4)
2 pounds (900g) waxy potatoes
2 tbsp (28ml) vegetable oil
1 red onion, diced
1/2 cup (120ml) beef/chicken stock
3 tbsp (40ml) white wine vinegar
3 tbsp (40ml) vegetable oil
2 tsp (10g) sugar
1 tsp (5g) mustard
salt and ground white pepper
1. Prepare the potato salad. Boil potatoes with their skin on until tender. When they’re cool enough to handle peel the potatoes and slice into ¼ inch (6mm) slices.
2. Put the potato slices into a large bowl and add chives.
3. Heat 2 tbsp of oil into a frying pan add onion and cook for about 30 seconds. Add stock and bring to boil. Stir in the vinegar and the 3 tbsp of remaining oil and remove from heat.
4. Add mustard, sugar salt and white pepper and stir to combine. While still hot pour the vinaigrette over the sliced potatoes and chives and gently toss to coat. Adjust seasoning to taste and let to rest for at least 30 minutes to let the potatoes absorb the vinaigrette.
5. Meanwhile prepare the wiener schnitzel. Using a flat head mallet, pound the veal cutlets between sheets of plastic wrap until thin, working from the center to the edges. Season both sides with salt and white ground pepper.
6. Prepare three large plates, one with flour, one with breadcrumbs and one with beaten eggs.
7. Heat about ¼ cup (56g) oil into a frying pan.
8. Working one at a time, dredge cutlets in flour, then dip in egg and coat with breadcrumbs.
9. Immediately place the breaded cutlet into the pan and fry the schnitzel for about 2-4 minutes, until golden brown.
10. Flip, add 1 tbsp (14g) butter and continue cooking on the other side for 2-4 minutes.
11. Cook schnitzels in batches.
12. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to remove excess oil.
13. Serve the wiener schnitzel with potato salad and garnished with a wedge of lemon. Enjoy!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?