All Natural Protein/Energy Bar (Plant-based)
Nutritional Value per 1 Bar:
Protein: 13.32 g
Carbohydrate: 34.13 g
Fiber: 9 g
Fats: 29.72 g
INGREDIENTS: (12 bars)
150g Almond – 1 cup
100g Walnuts – 1 cup
130g Pumpkin seeds – 1 cup
50g Goji Berry – 1/2 cup
350g Pitted Dates (Soft dates) – 2 heaping cups
1 Cup unsalted Almond Butter (265g) OR Nut Butter of Choice
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
Square Pan: 9 X 2 Inch (23 X 5 cm)
Start by toasting the almonds for about 2 minutes on medium heat, then add the walnut and pumpkin seeds to it and toast for another 2 minutes. Once toasted immediately remove from heat and transfer it to a heat proof plate and allow to to completely cook down. this will prevent the nuts from burning.
Now add the dates and almond butter to a food processor and blend it well and then add the toasted nuts, goji berry, ground cinnamon and salt. Blend it to a coarse mixture (if the mixture gets too dry and needs more binding add some more almond butter).
Prepare a pan by brushing the bottom and side walls with oil and line it with parchment paper. Transfer the mixture into the pan and press it with a spoon to pack it firmly. Take your time as it is REALLY important to press it firm, especially the corners – this will prevent any air gaps and prevent the bars from crumbling while cutting. Smooth out the surface.
Now cover it with plastic wrap and let it chill and set in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
Once it has set remove from the pan and cut it into desired shape with a sharp knife. Make sure to clean the knife with paper towel in between cuts this will keep the cuts clean.
After cutting it wrap it individually in plastic wrap or parchment paper and store it in the refrigerator. This stores well in the fridge for 3 to 4 weeks.
Take two tablespoons of the mixture and press it between palms of your hand until firm and formed into a ball. Then smooth out the surface. You can store it as is in a container or wrap it individually in a plastic wrap.
– As soon as the nuts/seeds are toasted remove it from the heat and transfer it to a plate to cool down. This will prevent it from burning. DO NOT leave it in the hot pan.
– If the mixture gets too dry and difficult to bind add some more almond butter
– Make sure to brush the pan/mold with oil this will prevent the mixture from sticking to the sides
– It’s really important that you take the time to pack the mixture properly in the pan until firm especially the corners. This will prevent the bars from crumbling while cutting it
– Make sure to clean the knife with paper towel in between cuts this will keep the cuts clean
– You can shape the mixture into balls, if you do not want to make bars
– You can use any combination of nuts/seeds/berries – just maintain the same proportion